Recovering from surgery is never fun but with the right post-op recovery strategy, your at-home recovery period can be stress free. But don't delay! Post-op planning should start well before your scheduled surgery date.
Here are a few home prep tips you might want to consider prior to your surgery:
- A clutter-free home is a happy, safe place to recover so clear away clutter from hallways and closets before entering the hospital or outpatient facility for surgery.
- A clean home is an infection-free home so be sure to give your home a thorough cleaning before your surgery. If you are not up to the task yourself, consider hiring a cleaning service to give the place a one-time once-over.
- If your bedroom is upstairs, prepare a comfortable downstairs recovery area so there will be no need to climb stairs too soon following surgery.
- Keep plenty of games, books, or puzzles close at hand to help pass the down time following surgery. Activities like reading or playing games not only fill up your time, they are also a great way to reduce post-surgery stress.
Some General Post-Surgery Tips to Consider:
- Keeping an open line to the outside world is essential during surgery recovery. Be sure to have a phone close by at all times. Put your nearest and dearest on speed dial so you can quickly reach them should an urgent (pressing but non-emergency) situation arise. But remember, in the case of an emergency, never hesitate to dial 9-11.
- Keep a thermometer within reach to easily monitor your temperature. An elevated temperature can be a sign of infection so be sure to monitor your temperature frequently following surgery.
- Place a water pitcher within easy reach. It's important to stay hydrated but you do not want to be running back and forth to the kitchen too soon following your surgery.
- As much as we all love our pets, it is important to keep your distance from your furry friends following surgery. Not only do they represent an infection risk but a boisterous jumping pet can spell disaster for a healing incision.
The Medical Maven offers a variety of products that can make your recovery go more smoothly. Our EZ Band self-closure elastic bandage will keep your dressings safe and dry. Best of all, the elastic construction means that it adheres comfortably to your skin or dressing without slipping or cutting off circulation! This self-adhering wrap is constructed of a cohesive material that sticks to itself but not to your skin, which allows for pain-free removal.
To help avoid infection following surgery, stock up on our GelRite Hand Sanitizer. It kills 99.5% of transient microorganisms within seconds! No rinsing required and it is latex glove compatible.
At The Medical Maven, we are dedicated to your recovery. Feel free to contact us with any questions about our products! We at the Medical Maven wish you a speedy, stress-free recovery!
Statement: Good pre-op planning takes the stress out of surgery recovery.